Psychiatry: Site Visit Summary

One case that stood out to me, and one I presented during my site visit, was of a patient admitted because of suicidal and homicidal ideations. This patient had a previous history of sexual assault both in adulthood as well as in childhood which contributed to the PTSD and depression that she was feeling at the time of the visit. Because I was a female and the provider was a male, I found that the patient felt more comfortable talking to me, and I was able to get most of the history from her. Because of her PTSD and depression, she experienced a lack of focus in school and failed her class. She also received no support from her family members which further encouraged her suicidal ideations as well as homicidal thoughts toward her mother. It was this case that opened my eyes to the importance of showing compassion to patients despite their circumstances; at the time I interviewed her, I didn’t know about her childhood experiences with sexual abuse, and so I am glad I didn’t show any signs of judgement when she told me that she wanted to kill her mother. Additionally, this case—and working in psych in general—taught me the importance of collateral information, which is necessary in order to understand the full picture of the patient’s story. Finally, it is important as a provider to know what should be reported to the police. My site evaluator had mentioned that although the patient’s sexual abuse during childhood happened years ago, if it had not been reported, it was still possible to make a case. As providers, we have this responsibility to protect our patients.